Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Tribute




Much time has passed

That my father is no more

Three and a half decades ago

An abrupt end

A rude shock for family and friends.

Time healed,

Memories remained.


My father

A lean man with curly hair

Center parted and gelled.

Flash of gold tooth when he smiled

Through his ‘paan’-stained teeth

A vivid image burned on our minds.


Fun and laughter were his pastime

He loved to joke and was quite bold

A favourite ‘chacha’ that he was

He did not fail to please young or old.


Uninhibited and casual in his ways

Would often cajole and tease

In general putting all at ease.


A few flashy airs

A keen sense of dress

He tried all sorts of clothing

Always carrying them off well.


He loved to shop, many a fair

Cooking was to him a flair.

Pots and pans he would clutter

Much clatter, create a flutter

to collect us all and perform.


Music, arts, sports and pets

He encouraged everything

Enthusing us at every step.

Planning, organizing

Festivals, birthdays, a picnic or trip

Such excitement would never skip.


As he would muse, a matric fail

But travelled many places,

His warmth and charm

Making him many friends.

Not one to chase money or fame

Happy to live life as it came.


I can never thank him enough

For bringing us close to life

Never preaching lessons

But living it for us himself.


Although cut unfairly short

his life seemed complete,

happy and content.



Today is my father’s eightieth birthday.



And in the end, It is not the years in your life that count

It is the life in your years’---Abraham Lincoln







5 comments:

  1. His passing was such a shock
    That none could comprehend
    So much of your lives he couldn't see
    Such an early, untimely end

    And yet his blessings linger still
    His legacy lives on
    For all of those who remember him,
    He is, forever young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dipali.Your few lines say it all so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he was remembered on his birthday even in london!
    :)
    muaahhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this sounds so much like my story . I was a little older perhaps but my father's going destroyed so much of my life at that time . What causes me the greatest agony is the fact that he could never see his sons in law and his grandchildren in whom he would have taken such pleasure or lived out his retired life in a n easy chair with his beloved books and his wife for company .
    BTW I am a friend of Dipali's :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @eve's lungs
    I also feel the same, I wish my father had known my husband and daughters; nice knowing you, I’m also a friend of Dipali’s from our college days. Being a new blogger I need all the encouragement I can get!

    ReplyDelete