Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2011

To My Valentine

Red roses, hearts, and all the other mushy things that go with Valentine's Day, here's something interesting I came across ..... Ogden Nash relates it to so many things that one would consider highly unpleasant, yet in his light-hearted way he conveys true love.

A twisted version of a standard love poem.

More than a catbird hates a cat,
Or a criminal hates a clue,
Or the Axis hates the United States,
That's how much I love you.


I love you more than a duck can swim,
And more than a grapefruit squirts,
I love you more than a gin rummy is a bore,
And more than a toothache hurts.


As a shipwrecked sailor hates the sea,
Or a juggler hates a shove,
As a hostess detests unexpected guests,
That's how much you I love.


I love you more than a wasp can sting,
And more than the subway jerks,
I love you as much as a beggar needs a crutch,
And more than a hangnail irks.

I swear to you by the stars above,
And below, if such there be,
As the High Court loathes perjurious oathes,
That's how you're loved by me.

2 comments:

  1. Utterly delightful!

    It reminded me of one of Shakespeare's Sonnets:
    My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun (Sonnet 130)
    by William Shakespeare

    My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
    Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
    If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
    If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
    I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
    But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
    And in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
    I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
    That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
    I grant I never saw a goddess go;
    My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
    And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
    As any she belied with false compare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Dipali-There is always a beautiful side to an ugly picture....' Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder ' !

    ReplyDelete