Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Scent of Summer



Summer is here. We’re in Chennai, it's hot and humid outside. I sit under the fan enjoying its breeze, resisting the temptation to switch on the AC. Trying to save some electricity, with all the power-cuts one feels like conserving.

But looking out onto the verandah what distracts me is the Neem tree branches with its dense foliage, some of it practically at arm’s length. The newly-sprouted leaves give it lovely hues of green, and at the moment it is flowering profusely with tiny white flowers. The scent from these flowers is sweet jasmine-like and quite intense.

The scent lifts my spirits, and seeing the greenery at such close quarters always make me smile.  I know it is not going to last very long but I enjoy it, distracted from the thought that summer has more in store for us, both pleasant and not so pleasant.




The Neem from my Verandah

1 comment: